Home   Sport   Article

Thrilling win keeps Brora title hopes alive

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
A goal four minutes from time ensured victory for Brora Wanderers.
A goal four minutes from time ensured victory for Brora Wanderers.

Embo got off to a flyer in the fifth minute when Garrick Taylor headed powerfully into the net following a corner.

Embo soaked up the pressure and doubled their lead in the 38th minute when James MacGillivray latched on to a long clearance from Muir and scored with a well-taken strike.

An uncharacteristic slip by Muir in the 65th minute threw Wanderers a lifeline. The Embo keeper dropped a long range shot and Scott Miller was on hand to knock in the loose ball.

At the other end MacGillivray was unlucky with an effort on goal but Wanderers drew level in the 75th minute with a low drive from outside the 18-yard box by Darren Malcolm.

Miller and Garry MacLeod both missed point blank headers in front of goal before Miller scored again in the 86th minute. A long clearance caught the Embo defence napping and Miller took full advantage when he smashed a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the net for the winner.

Leaders Golspie Stafford kept a firm grip at the top with a 4-0 victory over Lairg Rovers at Ferrycroft Park.

Stafford’s early pressure paid off in the 20th minute when Innes got on the end of a Duncan free kick to loop a header into the net.

Aaron Smith doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time when he forced the ball over the goal-line.

Smith stretched the advantage on the hour after he played a neat one-two with Innes, and Innes scored again five minutes from the end when he chested down a Graham Sutherland pass to score.

Earlier in the week, holders Golspie Stafford were knocked out of the Pattison Cup with a 2-1 defeat against Dornoch City at Meadows Park.

Stephen Dixon gave the home side the lead when he netted in the 10th minute and he also made it 2-0 after half an hour after Stafford had missed a chance seconds before.

An Aaron Smith volley was turned onto the post by City goalkeeper Russell MacKenzie and from the rebound Hook raced upfield and his lay-off was smashed into the net by Dixon.

Iain Innes pulled one back for Stafford in the 71st minute but City, who had been reduced to 10 men for most of the second half, held out for a well-earned victory.

Fixtures: Saturday, July 14 – League (3pm): Dornoch City v Embo; Helmsdale United v Brora Wanderers.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More