Home   Sport   Article

Stafford through to the finals

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Stafford Cup holders Golspie Stafford reached the final when they beat Embo 3-1 at Back Park on Saturday.
Stafford Cup holders Golspie Stafford reached the final when they beat Embo 3-1 at Back Park on Saturday.

STAFFORD Cup holders Golspie Stafford reached the final of

this season’s competition when they came from behind to beat their fellow Brora Rangers Sutherland AFA League side Embo 3-1 at Back Park on Saturday.

Despite playing into a strong wind Embo had the better of the first half and David Munro almost gave them the lead with a shot which flew narrowly over the crossbar.

Stafford were dangerous on the break but it was the home side who broke the deadlock in the 43rd minute when Munro forced the ball into the net at the third attempt.

Stafford levelled in the 58th minute when Chris Sutherland latched on a Shane Sutherland cross and coolly slotted the ball into the net.

Stafford grew in confidence and they added a second in the 68th minute when a long ball caught the Embo defence napping and Sutherland was in again to score.

Shane Sutherland put the result beyond doubt when he made it 3-1 in the 79th minute when he raced clear to net.

In the other semi-final, Lairg Rovers held out for a 2-1 win against Tongue United.

In the league, Brora Wanderers and Helmsdale United settled for a point apiece in a 1-1 draw at School Park, Brora.

Darren Malcolm scored for Wanderers on the half hour mark after a stinging free kick from Garry MacLeod was parried by the United goalkeeper.

On Tuesday night, Golspie Stafford moved eight points clear at the top of the table after an emphatic 4-1 win over Lairg Rovers.

Rovers got off to the best

possible start when Neil MacDonald gave them the lead in the 10th minute when he scored after a goalmouth scramble.

Stafford got back on level terms in the 35th minute when George Jones rounded the Rovers’ keeper to score.

Shane Sutherland made it 2-1 for Stafford five minutes from the break with an angled drive.

Jones added a third early

in the second half when he volleyed home after good work from Iain Innes and Shane Sutherland.

Shane Sutherland grabbed his second goal of the match 15

minutes from the end when he scored from the penalty spot after being taken down by Karl MacKay inside the box.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More