Home   Sport   Article

Royal Dornoch set to welcome top golfers from across Scotland for Tartan Pro Tour on Monday and Tuesday


By Will Clark

Get a digital copy of the Northern Times delivered straight to your inbox every week



The top professional golfers in Scotland are set to head to Royal Dornoch to play at the Tartan Pro Tour tomorrow.

Royal Dornoch Golf Club – ranked in the top 10 in the world – h
Royal Dornoch Golf Club – ranked in the top 10 in the world – h

A maximum field of 72 male and female golfers will battle it out at the Sutherland links competing to win the third tournament of the series.

Golfers will play two rounds on Monday and Tuesday in the tournament which has been created by former Open champion Paul Lawrie.

Royal Dornoch general manager Neil Hampton says the course is ready to welcome the best golfers in the country for the competition.

“Our golf course is in great condition, partly due to the lack of volume of players compared to other years due to restrictions,” he said.

“Our full greenkeeping team has been back with us since May when golf was allowed again.

“The course is good enough to hold this event on any day.”

The Tartan Pro Tour is a series of six competitions which began on August 5 when Sam Locke won in Carnoustie.

Last week, John Henry won the second stage at the Scottish Par 3 Championship at the Paul Lawrie Golf Course in Aberdeen.

But after two stages, the tour is led by Aberdonian and former Scottish amateur champion Chris Robb.

Other courses which will host the tour include Pollok, St Andrews and Rowallan Castle.

Royal Dornoch was due to hold the Men’s Home International next week which was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

However, Hampton says the club are grateful to have been given the chance to stage another tournament in its place and is looking forward to two days of top golfing action.

“Part of our mantra at Royal Dornoch is to support the game of golf and the way we do that is by hosting these kind of events,” he said.

“It is bitter-sweet as next week we were meant to be hosting the Home International.

“It is great Paul has staged these events to help support golfers who can’t compete due to Covid-19.

“It is nice for the course that we can still stage a big event.”

Due to government regulations, no spectators will be able to attend the tournament.

For more sport news click here.



Having trouble getting out to pick up your weekly newspaper?

Get a digital copy of the Northern Times delivered straight to your inbox every week and read the full newspaper on your desktop, phone or laptop.

SUBSCRIBE NOW


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More