Home   Sport   Article

Lairg get through in cup after shoot-out

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Lairg Rovers triumphed 5-4 in the penalty shoot-out.
Lairg Rovers triumphed 5-4 in the penalty shoot-out.

The teams shared eight goals at the end of extra-time and it was down to a penalty shoot-out, which Rovers won 5-4.

After a goalless first half, Kinlochbervie’s Colin Fulton broke the deadlock in the 58th minute when he headed home following a corner.

But Rovers were back on level terms four minutes later when a Kenny McNab free kick was parried and Stuart Allan was on the spot to fire home the rebound.

Rovers edged ahead a couple of minutes later when Allan got on the end of a long throw-in from Andy MacKay to volley into the net from 10 yards.

Back came their opponents and Fulton was on the mark again with a stunning 25-yard drive which flew into the net.

The visitors got their noses in front when Alan MacKenzie scored a fine individual goal, but Rovers were back on level terms a minute later when Miller MacKay chested down an Allan pass and volleyed home from close range to take the tie into extra-time.

MacKenzie made it 4-3 for the visitors four minutes into extra-time with a clinical finish but Jamie Morrison squared matters again when he was left unmarked at the front post to knock in a MacKay corner.

Rovers converted all their penalties in the shoot-out but MacKenzie smashed the final spot kick off the post.

Dornoch City joined Rovers in the second round after a high-scoring tie with Brora Wanderers at the Meadows.

In a 6-3 victory, Jordan Morrison led the way for City with a well-taken hat-trick and Cameron Hook chipped in with a brace. Steven Dixon got City’s other goals.

Scott Miller (2), and Alasdair MacDonald replied for Wanderers.

In the league, Golspie Stafford eased to a 4-1 win over Helmsdale United at Stafford Park.

Stafford substitute George Jones was only on the park a minute when he scored the opener. Jones, who replaced the injured Daniel Stuart in the 11th minute, tucked away a Liam Sutherland cross from inside the six-yard box.

Shane Sutherland doubled the lead on the half-hour when he connected with an Aaron Smith delivery.

Despite being reduced to 10 men before the break, United pulled one back in the 50th minute when Luke Sawyer stuck.

But Smith restored Stafford’s two-goal advantage on the hour when the ball broke to him in a crowded box.

Smith made sure there was no way back for United when he added a fourth in the 80th minute when he headed home a Blair Duncan cross.

n SIX Sutherland sides are in the mix as the Highland Amateur Cup gets under way tomorrow (Saturday).

The first round draw threw up a local derby between Golspie Stafford and Brora Wanderers at Stafford Park.

Stafford will be without Daniel Stuart, who pulled his hamstring against Helmsdale United last week, while Scott Clark is unavailable. Gary MacKenzie is also suffering from a toe injury.

Wanderers are nursing a few bruises but hope to be at full strength for the tie.

Elsewhere, Lairg Rovers travel to play Thurso Pentland at Sir George’s Park, while Dornoch City entertain Halkirk.

Kinlochbervie have been drawn at home against record seven-time winners Pentland United (to be played at the Village Park, Durness), while Lochinver host Thurso Swifts.

Fixtures: Saturday, May 5 – Highland Amateur Cup first round – 3pm – Thurso Pentland v Lairg Rovers; Golspie Stafford v Brora Wanderers; Dornoch City v Halkirk; Kinlochbervie v Pentland United; Lochinver v Thurso Swifts.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More