Home   Sport   Article

Golspie Satafford's dramatic comeback ensures rousing finish

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Three goals in the last 13 minutes salvaged a point for Golspie Stafford.
Three goals in the last 13 minutes salvaged a point for Golspie Stafford.

In the Brora Rangers FC Sutherland AFA League clash at School Park on Tuesday night, James Morrison gave Wanderers the lead in the 20th minute with a cool finish.

Craig Sutherland doubled the advantage 10 minutes later when he pounced on a mix-up in the Stafford defence.

Morrison was on target again early in the second half when he volleyed into the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-0.

George Jones threw Stafford a lifeline on the hour when he found the net from an acute angle.

But when Craig Ross restored Wanderers’ three-goal lead in the 76th minute, it looked all over for Stafford.

However, Stafford staged a rousing finish and Iain Innes pulled one back a minute later after good work from Daniel Stuart. Jones further reduced the leeway following another Stuart assist.

With just two minutes left, Stafford grabbed a dramatic leveller when Joe Crisp played a neat one-two with Stuart on the edge of the 18-yard box before firing low into the net.

Stafford had time to create a couple of good chances before the final whistle, but efforts from Innes and Stuart were well saved by Wanderers’ goalkeeper David Wood.

Dornoch City went on a goal spree on Saturday in a 10-2 romp over Lairg Rovers.

Jordan Morrison led the line well with five of his side’s goals. Gordon MacKay, Tom Smith, Craig Sutherland and Cameron Hook were also on target and Lewis Andrew scored from the penalty spot in this one-sided match.

Last Wednesday, holders Golspie Stafford booked a place in the Couper Cup final after they came from behind to pip Lairg Rovers 2-1 at Ferrycroft Park.

Gary Orr scored the only goal of the first half with a close range header.

Stafford’s Daniel Stuart was denied by the woodwork shortly afterwards but the visitors drew level mid-way through the second period when Iain Innes scored from the penalty spot after being taken down in the area.

With extra-time looming Innes popped up with the winner in the final minute of the tie.

* GOLSPIE Stafford were knocked out of the Highland Amateur Cup after a penalty shoot-out with third round opponents Muir of Ord Rovers at Pavilion Park last Saturday.

Stafford were on top for most of the tie but were unable to turn their superiority into goals.

Stafford had shouts for a penalty in both halves when Aaron Smith and George Jones went tumbling in the box, but nothing was given.

Stafford’s Chris Sutherland eventually broke the deadlock in the 95th minute when he got on the end of a Leon Urquhart cross to head home.

The Sutherland side looked more than capable of holding on to their lead but a lapse of concentration in the final minute of extra time proved costly as Ewan Dance headed home an equaliser at the back post.

It was down to penalties, which Rovers won 4-3.

Sutherland’s other representatives, Tongue United, lost 6-0 away to John O’ Groats.

Fixtures – Saturday, June 23 –.League (1pm): Helmsdale United v Embo. Couper Cup Final (4pm): Golspie Stafford v Dornoch City.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More