Home   Sport   Article

Dornoch reach semis after shoot-out

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Ali MacKintosh netted the vital penalty for Dornoch in the shoot-out.
Ali MacKintosh netted the vital penalty for Dornoch in the shoot-out.

The teams finished all-square at 1-1 but City booked their place in the semis after they won a sudden death decider 8-7.

Cameron Hook gave City the lead in the 35th minute when he picked his spot after he weaved past a couple of defenders.

The lead did not last long, however, and Embo were back on level terms a couple of minutes later when Ross Davidson scrambled the ball over the goal-line after a Craig MacKay free kick was parried.

There were no more goals in the second half and it came down to penalties.

Ali MacKinosh netted the decisive spot kick for City to make it 8-7 before Embo’s Ewan MacDonald struck the crossbar with the final kick.

In the other first round tie, Lairg Rovers defeated Helmsdale United 4-2 at Ferrycroft Park.

After an evenly contested first quarter, Rovers took control with two goals late in the first half.

Gareth Orr headed the opener in the 38th minute when he slid in at the back post. Stuart Allan doubled the score a minute from the break when he took advantage of a mix-up in the United defence to net.

Allan stretched the lead in the 58th minute with a superb volley into the top corner but Mark MacKay pulled one back for United on the hour when he rounded the Rovers’ keeper to score.

Rovers restored their three-goal cushion four minutes later when Dean Fraser found the back of the net with a superbly struck volley from outside the area.

To their credit, United kept plugging away and Callum Cameron scored a consolation goal in the final minute when he headed in a Paul Gordon corner.

In the league, Golspie Stafford were made to fight all the way for the points in a 2-1 win over Brora Wanderers at Stafford Park.

Wanderers took the lead in the 12th minute when they broke up the park following a Stafford corner. James Morrison was on hand to knock in the rebound after Stafford goalkeeper Gordon MacRae blocked a Scott Miller cross.

The visitors held on to their lead until the hour when Shane Sutherland raced from his own half to score a fine individual goal, leaving three defenders in his wake.

Sutherland popped up with the winner 15 minutes from the end when he scored with a vicious left foot strike from 25 yards which flew into the net.

However, Wanderers continued to push for an equaliser and Miller came agonisingly close with an effort which rebounded off the inside of both uprights before being cleared.

* Fixtures: Saturday, April 28 – Stafford Cup first round – Dornoch City v Brora Wanderers; Lairg Rovers v Kinlochbervie. League – Golspie Stafford v Helmsdale United. Kick-offs 3pm.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More