Home   News   Article

Scottish Licensed Trade Association for hospitality "bitterly disappointed" over Covid-19 mask scrapping delay


By Alan Shields

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.



Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
CORONAVIRUS. COVID-19 concept. blue medical face mask with a red inscription CORONAVIRUS in the hands of which are in rubber gloves. vignette image
CORONAVIRUS. COVID-19 concept. blue medical face mask with a red inscription CORONAVIRUS in the hands of which are in rubber gloves. vignette image

The hospitality industry has described the First Minister's delay on the removing of a legal requirement for face masks in their bars and restaurants as “particularly galling”.

Nicola Sturgeon announced today (March 30) that face coverings would no longer be mandatory when moving around in enclosed public spaces from April 18.

But the Scottish Licensed Trade Association (SLTA) said the delay has been “met with disappointment” as weddings, funerals and places of worship will see the restriction lifted earlier on April 4.

Colin Wilkinson, SLTA managing director, said that the decision was “particularly galling” given that the First Minister was seen without a face covering while attending the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service in London this week.

He said: "While face coverings are not required south of the Border as the rules changed at the end of January, surely it would have set an example for the First Minister still to wear hers at the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service given her decision to insist that in licensed hospitality, in shops, on public transport and some indoor settings in Scotland we are required to still wear them until April 18.

"The lack of use of face coverings is already clearly evident in many settings and this extension of the restrictions will make little difference.

"We have already stated our view that Scotland not falling into line with England will confuse people – particularly visitors from south of the Border.

"It is already confusing people and it is exceptionally unfair for business owners and their staff to have to remind people who are not familiar with our rules that they must wear a face covering.

"To say we are bitterly disappointed by today’s announcement is an understatement as we still face nearly three more weeks of restrictions.

"We had hoped that all restrictions would have been lifted ahead of the Easter weekend when hospitality businesses traditionally see an upsurge in business."


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More