Home   News   Article

Ross County midfielder Michael Gardyne issued with Scottish FA notice of complaint over alleged comments during match against Rangers


By Andrew Henderson

50% off a six-month digital e-edition subscription with promo code '50OFF'



Michael Gardyne leaves the pitch at full time against Rangers. Picture: Ken Macpherson
Michael Gardyne leaves the pitch at full time against Rangers. Picture: Ken Macpherson

Ross County player Michael Gardyne has been issued with a notice of complaint from the Scottish FA relating to an incident during the Staggies' match against Rangers at the start of December.

The 34-year-old was at the centre of controversy against the Premiership leaders towards the end of the first half on Sunday, December 6, when he allegedly made an offensive comment towards Rangers forward Alfredo Morelos.

Gers players, including defender Connor Goldson, reacted furiously at the time, going over to the fourth official and manager Steven Gerrard to ask if they had heard what was said.

There was a report in the days after that the SFA compliance officer was investigating the incident, although Ross County insisted there had been no contact from the governing body, and only now has a notice of complaint been officially issued.

The rule allegedly breached states that "a recognised football body, club, official, team official, orther member of team staff, player, match official or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall, at all times, act in the best interests of Association Football.

"Furthermore such person or body shall not act in any manner which is improper or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour."

A hearing has been set for Thursday, January 21.

Ross County conducted their own internal investigation in the week that followed, and decided no further action would be taken.

"We conducted a thorough internal investigation," former County boss Stuart Kettlewell said upon drawing the investigation to a close.

"We did things right, we took advice from people in the correct place that were in a position to advise me on the situation.

"We spoke to the relevant parties, looked at the evidence from television footage, and we based things on what the referee decided at the time who was the closest person to the incident.

"We spoke to Michael directly, and as far as we're concerned the matter is done. The club has looked at absolutely everything, and we just want to move on now. We don't see that there's anything else to comment on."


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.


Get a digital copy of the Northern Scot delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!

Sign up today and get 50% off a six-month subscription with promo code '50OFF'.

SUBSCRIBE NOW


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More