Home   News   Article

Inverness Highland Games and Highland Pride cancelled due to coronavirus fears


By Louise Glen


The Inverness Highland Games will not take place this year.
The Inverness Highland Games will not take place this year.

ORGANISERS of both the Inverness Highland Games and Highland Pride, set to take place in July in Inverness, have announced their cancellation due to ongoing concerns around COVID-19 coronavirus.

It is understood that international visitors had been forced to cancel their plans to attend, leading the decision to pull the plug.

The events were due to take place on July 18 and 19.

A spokesman for both organisations said: "Following on from the advice issued by the government, Highland Council has announced that it has been decided to cancel the Inverness Highland Games, which were scheduled to take place on Saturday, July 18.

"The Inverness Highland Games Committee have also announced the cancellation of the Provost's Cup Football Tournament and Highland's Strongest Man and Strongest Woman Events scheduled for Friday, July 17 and confirmed that they have been advised by the organisers of Highland Pride of their decision to cancel their event, which was planned to take place on Sunday, July 19."

Councillor Graham Ross, chairman of the Inverness Events and Festivals Working Group, said: "It is extremely regrettable that it has been necessary to cancel the Games weekend due to the current outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus). We shall be monitoring the developing situation closely in the months ahead and we look forward to resuming our city's events programme when it is safe to do so."

* Click here for more on coronavirus.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More