Increase in rail passenger numbers across Sutherland
Passenger numbers at the 12 railway stations in Sutherland increased by 7.4 per cent in the 2018-19 financial year to a record 37,770, according to the official statistics published by the Office of Rail and Road (ORR).
Seven of the local stations recorded rises and five falls.
Ardgay had 6998 passengers in 2018-19, which was 19 per cent of the Sutherland total. However, that number was two per cent lower than in the previous year and well below the 8890 peak in 2011-12.
Brora had 6992 passengers, which was 15.2 per cent higher than in the previous year and the biggest total in the last decade.
Figures for the other 10 stations were as follows:
- Golspie had 6150 passengers, 6.3 per cent higher but below the 8486 peak in 2009-10.
- Lairg recorded 6016 passengers, 10.9 per cent higher but also below the 7514 peak in 2014-15.
- Helmsdale had 5044 passengers, 8.8 per cent higher but also below the 6204 peak in 2015-16.
- Forsinard had 2530 passengers, 14.5 per cent higher and also the biggest total in the last decade.
- Rogart had 1574 passengers, 3.4 per cent lower than the 2017-18 total and also below the 1948 peak in 2016-17.
- Dunrobin Castle recorded 1224 passengers, 18.8 per cent higher and also the biggest total in a decade.
- Kinbrace had 510 passengers, 35.6 per cent higher but below the 1092 peak in 2013-14.
- Invershin had 284 passengers, 35.2 per cent lower and well below the 790 peak in 2013-14.
- Culrain had 280 passengers, 6.7 per cent lower and also well below the 1722 peak in 2009-10.
- Kildonan had 168 passengers, 18.4 per cent lower and below the 240 peak in 2011-12.