Home   News   Article

Chlorine gas scare at Clynelish Distillery

By SPP Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

One person taken to hospital after incident.
One person taken to hospital after incident.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service quickly responded to a chemical incident at Clynelish Distillery in Brora last night.

The incident was reported to control at 6.54pm yesterdayand around 30 firefighters were involved.

Two appliances from Inverness, plus one from Golspie, one from Helmsdale, one from Invergordon and the control unit and environmental pod from Inverness, were all dispatched to the scene.

An issue during the decanting process resulted in the accidental mixing of two substances, which in turn created the production of chlorine gas.

One man, who was in the area at the time and was exposed to the gas, was taken to hospital for treatment suffering from breathing difficulties. He was kept at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness overnight for observation.

Firefighters in gas tight suits and breathing apparatus, with technical support provided by the SFRS's National Hazmat Technical Support Team, isolated the tank and made the area safe prior to the arrival of a specialist clean up company.

Crews then entered a portable decontamination unit as a precautionary measure. None of the firefighters was exposed to the gas.

Group Manager John MacDonald said: "This was an incident with potentially serious outcomes, but due to the quick thinking of on-site staff at the distillery and the response from the emergency services, the incident was dealt with quickly and effectively.

"We are pleased that no one has been seriously injured and that we managed to help bring the incident to a successful conclusion."

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More