Change of use application for Golspie hotel as couple aim to turn it into a home
Get a digital copy of the Northern Times delivered straight to your inbox every week
An East Sutherland community appears set to lose one of its hotels.
A planning application has been lodged with Highland Council to change the use of the Golf Links Hotel in Golspie.
Applicants Fraser and Sarah Smart want to use it as a domestic residence rather than a commercial property.
Located on Church Street, the hotel, which has nine en suite bedrooms and a restaurant, enjoys an enviable position close to Golspie golf course and overlooking the sea.
The property dates back to 1840 and originally utilised as a manse for the neighbouring Free Church.
It was previously run by Richard and Linda Walton who took it over in 2003 and latterly operated it for six months of the year. It is understood the couple have now retired.
The hotel was sold during lockdown by Bruce & Co.
The company’s lead negotiator Adam Dell’Armi commented: “It was one of the first deals agreed when coming back to our office, with a quick turnaround (less than two months) for a completion that left all parties happy with the outcome.”