Published: 04/05/2017 10:36 - Updated: 04/05/2017 10:44

Brora through to semis


Andrew Greig received congratulates after opening the scoring.
Andrew Greig received congratulates after opening the scoring.

Nairn County 1

Brora Rangers 3

Brora Rangers progressed into the semi-final of the North of Scotland Football Association Cup, with a workmanlike 3-1 victory over a hardworking well organised Nairn County at Station Park.

The fine weather brought out a very good crowd for the tie, and the visiting supporters were quickly rewarded when Andy Greig, put the Cattachs ahead after just 90 seconds. Greig picked up the ball wide on the left and cut in past two defenders and stroked the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net passed the stranded Nairn keeper.

Nairn could perhaps feel a little frustrated as MacKenzie felt he was brought down by Jamie Duff, with the goal was at his mercy, but the referee felt the challenge was good and no penalty was awarded.

There was plenty of end to end stuff and Brora were unlucky not to double their lead when a goal bound rocket from Kyle Macleod smacked the crossbar. Likewise in 37 minutes Nairn looked to have equalised but MacKenzie saw his shot come back from the inside of the post with Joe Malin well beaten.

Brora Rangers started the second half in determined style and much as in the first half, it was Andrew Greig that was at the heart of the action, adding Brora's second in similar style as his first. Grieg picked up a pinpoint ball from Jamie Duff and cut in from the left and his curling shot found the target.

Nairn continued to press for a score, and very nearly did, when Jordon Macrae beat the offside trap, but his shot was well smothered by Malin who was very quickly off his line and alive to the danger.

Brora sealed the tie in the 60th minute when Zander Sutherland picked up a great through ball from Scott Graham, rounded the keeper and finished well.

Nairn County pulled one back in 75 minutes when Jordan Macrae with a beautifully placed free kick beat the Brora wall and placed the kick to the left of the unsighted Joe Malin. The Nairn goal set up a very interesting last 15 minutes, but in the main Brora remained in control of the game and Steven Ross had a goal disallowed as the cross from Sutherland was deemed by the linesman to have had gone out of play.

Brora Manager Ross Tokely was pleased with the outcome, but felt the overall performance was flat with room for improvements in all departments. " We played well in parts but lacked the final pass and allowed Nairn too much time on the ball. Chubbs took his two goals well as did Zander. We never looked in any difficulty but it wasn't one of our better performances."

Brora meet Forres Mechanics this Saturday in the Semi Final at Dudgeon Park, kick off 3pm.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo