Published: 23/10/2014 12:21 - Updated: 23/10/2014 12:33

Thurso fire believed to have been caused by e-cigarette charger

Warning to e-cigarette users.
Warning to e-cigarette users.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have issued advice to e-cigarette users following a fire in Thurso last night, believed to have been caused by an e-cigarette charger.

The fire brigade were called out to deal with the blaze at a flat in Janet Street.

Control were alerted to the fire at 7.23pm and sent two appliances from Thurso and one from John O’ Groats to the scene.

The fire, which was located in the living room of a first floor flat, was well alight when crews arrived. The two occupants had self-evacuated prior to the arrival of firefighters.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used one main jet and two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire. The flat was badly damaged by smoke and the living room suffered serious fire damage.

The service’s Group Manager John MacDonald said the fire was believed to have been caused by an e-cigarette charger and he issued advice to users of such products.

He said: “Although not specific to the circumstances of this incident we would like to advise only using the charger supplied with your e-cigarette and do not to use components from different e-cigarette manufacturers.

“There have also been case where over tightening of the product onto the charger may cause damage, resulting in overheating and potential fire.”

He added: “Ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions, don’t leave them unattended whilst on charge and remove the battery from the charger when fully charged.”

< Back

 

Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo